Jul 22, 2010

NUK? Evenflo? I dont know.

I ran by WalMart while doing my baby shopping last week in hopes of being productive and getting things stocked up for our baby girl. I am trying to do a little bit of shopping at a time as to avoid one big trip at the end.

When I got to the baby section the first part was clothing. That's not too hard to do. I bought two pairs of really cheap pants.

Then I looked at some toys and thought that they are not needed at first..of course.

The next section was the bottle/pacifier/breast pump area. I have never stood in an isle so long in my entire life. There are so many different brands/shapes and sizes of all these things. I read some of the boxes and was trying to decide which would be the best for the baby and the price. I left with nothing.

So, what do you all think? What brand of bottle/pacifier/breast pump is the best and why do you like it? This should help me not stand in the isle as long next time :)

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Medela breast pump is the best by far. I don't know if they even sell those at Wal-Mart, been a while since I've been in that section, but you can find them online. I was given one when I had Daniel, he was a preemie and the hospital first let me rent one and then buy one and it was by far the best. I have tried many others and they end up being a waste of money. As far as binkies are concerned, those vary by baby. Some babies will suck on one,others will ignore them. The hospital gives you one to go home with. I liked Nuk for a couple of my children. Bottles are the same way, every baby likes something different an you could go through a bunch. I liked Playtex nursers and then the drop ins that go with them, so convienent and seemed to be more like Mom if you are planning on being a nursing Mom these bottles are easy to back and forth between nursing and feedings with the bottle.

Mike and Adrianne said...

I agree with Michelle about the breast pump. The medela is the best. I got my first one off of ebay and made sure it was sterilized (something about someone elses breast on it was gross to me). Then later I got another one from my friend who had an unopened one. I loved it.

I have usually used the pacifiers that used to only come from hospitals but now WalMart sells them. They are kind of ugly and have a whole in the back. I can't think of the brand. But, I think like Michelle said, it just varies for baby. Try one and if it doesn't work, get another one. The one we used is shaped most like a nipple so the idea is that they should take it better than the other ones. But, my kids actually didn't really take pacifiers ever. So, I'm probably not a good judge.

With bottles, I just got the cheapest one. The only thing I would say is make sure the nipple isn't a fast flow one at first becasue they can't suck that quickly. Then, as they get older, you can move up to the fast flow nipple.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Oh, and since I'm giving advice already, the best thing I did was nurse exclusively for the first frew weeks until they got used to nursing and then at about two weeks I introduced a bottle so that I could go on dates with Mike eventually. It was nice because I could nurse primarily and then give them a bottle just enough to keep them used to a bottle (maybe once or twice a week) and then when I needed to leave, they would still take the bottle. Some babies won't take a bottle after they nurse for too long. But if you are planning on working then she will probably not have this problem to begin with because she will get a bottle from Dave. So you probably don't need this advice anyway....

Miriam Lusk said...

Medela Breast pump. I got mine at Babies R' Us. Avent bottles, or the playtex drop ins if you are pumping and bottle feeding a lot. If you pump a lot, and I always do b/c I like to keep a surplus in my freezer. My milk only lasted six months with Adney and I was glad to have a backup supply of breast milk that lasted a few more months. Formula is expensive and gross. As far as pacifiers, I like a brand called Mam (see babies R' Us). They have small little ones perfect for newborns. But yeah, every kid is different. Good luck!

Dave and Tana said...

Thanks for the advice everybody! Its good to hear it from experienced moms. My next shopping trip wont be too crazy now!!

Papa Doc said...

I do not post comment much, but today I was doing it as I read the posts on blogs. This one is not one I need to say much about except for NUK. Most babies like it.

One thing is interesting to know, however, and that is while a lot of women nurse they will not get pregnant. Chris was luckily one of those and she nursed almost every time, for a long time. But all good things come to and end and we ended up with eleven. But at least it was not sixteen like a friend of mine in Salem.

Dad Clark

Team Clark said...

So I only know what I've used and that is Avent. I have the bottles and the electric/double pump (oh - and the pacifiers this time round). I like it all and I have no idea if anything is better. But I give a good recommendation for Avent.

Cristi said...

Only advice I can give is that all babies are different. They have a new bottle called breastflow at babies r'us and several people swear by it....Lorelai hates it and only wants to use the ventair ones. the binkies they are talking about in the other comments are soothies..... Lorelai liked that my oldest preferred the mam binkies.... good luck Tana.... you are so cute pregnant and I cant believe that you are married and preggers... last time I saw you we were both still so little lol