What would you rather do?
Work two 16 hour shifts one week and then two 16's and an 8 the next?
OR
Work three 12 hour shifts every week?
I have been stuggling so bad with being back to work. I am wasted all of the time and not functioning well (The other day I wasnt even putting sentences together properly and am probably not doing it right now either..ah ha). My attitude is miserable and I am trying to figure out what I need to do to my schedule to make myself more happy (in other words more sleep = a more happy Tana).
I can basically work whenever I want because I make my own schedule every month; so I can work days, evenings or nights or a couple shifts on one day.
So, what would you do?
1 week ago

9 comments:
Man Tana, what a hard thing for you to do. The hard thing is that even on the days you don't have to work during the night, you have a little baby to wake you up during the night. I'm not sure what I would do. Maybe the 16 hour shift. That is just really hard.
I'm thinking two 16 hour shifts - but maybe one of them during the day if David could swing being home. Night shift work is really hard to do.
I'm sorry you are so frazzled and tired. (I always cry when I'm tired. If I'm not tired, I can get through a day without crying.)
I would work 3 12 hour shifts. I could barely make it past 8 hours, I couldnt imagine doubling my shift!
I think I'd do the 3 12 hr shifts. Maybe if it's as consistent as possible, you'd be able to train your body better to get used to the sleep deprivation. The 2 16's then an 8 wouldn't be equal enough for my sleep patterns.
Hang in there. Sleep deprevation is the worst thing ever. No one is happy if they don't get sleep. It's hard enough with a baby, let alone the lack of sleep.
You are in one tough situation girl! Sleep in so so important. I think I would do 2- 16 hrs. That way you get it over with in two nights instead of three... And you could have more time with your baby.
Thanks for your opinions! I will have to seriously contemplate now and then let you all know.
Quit jobs. Make babies. hahaha. But in all seriousness, I think the 12 hours. 16 would be so killer, because it feels like you're hardly resting in between. With 12 hour shifts, you might be able to keep some normalcy with sleep hours. Justin is contemplating doing more graves, instead of days, and I told him he could only do it if he got me a puppy.
I could never work a 16!! 12's are enough! You are crazy! Hope your are having a blast with the new addition, she is adorable, congrats!
Sorry, I have one more comment. After thinking about it more, I might do what Chelsey suggested because from the stand point of a patient, it worries me to think about my doctors or nurses coming to work so tired they can't even think straight and then maybe will be too tired that mistakes will be made. My OB said once after our visit that he had been up for 49 hours! That is unbelieveable to me. (not that I believe you would make mistakes ;) just that being that tired would be really hard).
Post a Comment