Jul 1, 2009

Our little house is coming together :)

About a week ago I was talking with my family about how Dave and I dont have any furniture besides our couch, desk and TV ( which doesnt even count) ! While we were talking about that I thought, " Almost all of the newlyweds that I know have a bunch of hand-me-downs." I was thinking there was no hope for us because we dont really know a lot of people out here...not that we are entitled to anything... but the idea is nice!
Literally 15 minutes after I was saying that I got a phone call from a new couple in our ward who just moved in offering us there queen mattress and box spring for free! I couldnt believe it! Then...yesterday morning I received an email from the Relief Society of my parents ward telling all of the members about a family who is moving and giving a lot of stuff away for free! I ran over there and got two black shelves, an entertainment center and a pop up baby play pin thingy! Wow...maybe I am going to talk about stuff like this more often! :)



All of the shelves are with it...I just didnt put them in yet! I am thinking about painting it a new color...Dave and I want a living room with the colors tan, brown, black with accents of green ( not forest green but a light green)...I dont know what color to paint this huge thing. Plus I dont know all the tricks to not only paint but make it look good! I need suggestions! Please! Any ideas...Ill take them all!

4 comments:

Jess and Jen said...

Excellent! Things come to those who wait. I don't know how many times we've wanted to buy something only to wait and get something comparable from someone else (free or a deal). Nice finds! -Jess

The Duke said...

Wow! That's completely awesome!! Get some help from Chelsey and Amy - they both refinish furniture and paint things. I actually like the color of that entertainment center.
Ok, so if the trick is to wait and talk - I've already waited - now I'll talk. I need a new couch. There - maybe a neighbor will move away. Ya think?? Nah.
Congratulations - this is just so great for you guys.

Mike and Adrianne said...

Cool!! That is great. I was going to say the same thing as mom, ask Chelsey or Amy or Jen. They all seem to know stuff about painting and making things look nice.

Team Clark said...

Holy cow - that's amazing! You guys got great stuff.
From the picture, the armoire looks like a great color with great antiquing already in it, but hmmmm...what color to paint it? Black always looks good (if you want an easy solution). Light green (are you talking sage?) would look good, too, although, you mentioned you just want it as an accent.
Well, whatever you decide, this is what I would do (although it may or may not be the best way) - I would sand it (just a little), prime it and then paint it. That's all you need. Should turn out great. :) And if you have any questions about which kinds of paint, etc, just ask the paint people at home depot - usually there is someone there that can help.